mickey mouse

mickey mouse

Thursday 1 March 2012

the countdown begins

Okay, so I've manned (womaned?) up and started a blog 'cause the book I'm reading (the Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women) told me to. Do I listen to everything I read? Mostly yes, which makes me a sucker for advertising and on the constant quest to 'feel fresh'.

Some of you who know the punch line will understand the blog title, but for those of you who don't, ask someone who worked for Disney....they'll tell you the joke.

The book says (not the 'Book' book, the Non-runners' guide book) that I should confess my mission in order to force myself to complete it......feels like 12 steps, although THIS mission will involve way more than 12.

I'm going to run the Walt Disney World Goofy Challenge. What's that, you ask? It's an annual run held at the Happiest Place on Earth, involving a weekend in January 2013 where you run a Half Marathon (21.1km) on Saturday, followed by a Full Marathon (42.2km, natch) on the Sunday.

I consider myself sort of a runner. I've done a few 1/2 marathons, and it's not like I'm starting from the sofa. I figure it's the equivalent of hitting the tanning bed before going to the beach, I've got a base.

The amusing thing is that I'm not even counting down to the RACE itself yet. I'm counting down 'till I can REGISTER for the blasted thing! It's not supposed to open until either March (now-ish) or April (depending on who to talk to). I've been cyber-stalking the Run Disney site, waiting for the other (running) shoe to drop so I can shell out a lot (not telling the DH how much) of money to run in a bigggggggg loop for two days.

So this blog is my training confessional. The way to keep myself honest, or at least to make it harder to hide at Tim Hortons when I'm supposed to be on a LSD run (no, not THAT LSD: Long Slow Distance).

Now I wait, something I'm no good at......

Counting down

Mrs. Mouse

No comments:

Post a Comment